The religion of psychology
I have a Bachelor's in Psychology. I received my degree from a Jesuit University.
The funny thing is, as I moved into my Junior and Senior year of study, I became very disenchanted with the ... Science? No. Practice? Maybe. My B.S. is in B.S. for the most part.
We studied a bunch of theories that tried to explain the same things. Maslow, Erikson, Pavlov, Bandura, Freud, Rogers ... Perhaps they cover different aspects but they're all simply theorizing explanations for human behavior.
I did well in my coursework, despite one of my instructors catching on to my disillusionment. To give her credit, I never felt she was trying to pick arguments when she asked me to explain my perspective. I felt she was genuinely interested. So, obviously, she had mastered a skill of a good therapist - no judgment.
It's been more than 15 years since I graduated. I work in an industry that sees the very worst of human behavior and I see a lot of people in the industries that have a nexus to mine trying to use psychological theory to help people.
I'm not questioning their intentions. I believe they are people who genuinely want to help others, just like me. I do believe many of them have very personal experiences with trauma and mental health that have caused them to want to find answers for themselves and share what they have learned to help people. Many of them strike me as quite dysfunctional themselves. I'm not sure they are really equipped to help others.
For example, a friend told me yesterday that one of her therapists has a very obvious personality disorder. One that, to me, is a symptom of very, very lost soul. I am concerned that my friend is seeking guidance from this person. She said this is the best therapist she's ever hard.
The thing is ... I'm not sure they're, for the most part, really helping people.
Our culture has turned to psychology as a god of comfort and healing.
But God is the god of comfort and healing. God doesn't need psychologists to fix people.
He CREATED people. He didn't make any mistakes. So why are so many people so dysfunctional? Well, see ... He gave us a written guide to how to live but we choose to ignore it, how to live in fellowship with him and trust his plan for us, how to turn our fears and anxieties over to him.
I think it's important to understand that each human being has an unique perspective and set of experiences but we are going way too far down the rabbit hole with psychology.
Cast your cares upon the one who created you. Talk to him about your struggles, pray. Study his word. Worship him with songs. Serve others who are less fortunate than you or who are going through something difficult. Listen to them. Share God's love with them.
Comments
Post a Comment